Nov 22, 2013

Day 22/30: Oklahoma

Day 22/30


"There is vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening, that is translated through you into action, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and will be lost." ~Martha Graham

Title: "Let us go back..."
Media: graphite, oil pastels, organza fabric, mini safety pin, red and black ink, photocopy of vintage photo, image transfer and embroidery floss on watercolor paper
Size: 14 inches by 7 inches
© 2013 by Martice Smith II.
*my maternal grandmother is the one on the far right. Circa 1960, New Year's. Couldn't get her to drink any booze! My mother told me grandma was, most likely, drinking tea, coffee, or hot chocolate. Yum!

 These are a few of the details: embroidery floss, a safety pin attached to a swatch of organza fabric.



Grandma Vivian ALWAYS kept a safety pin on her! This is one of them she used to pin the hem of my dress.




I often think about how life probably was for my Grandma while she was just a child, living on the Indian reservation in Oklahoma. Being as private as she was, she hardly ever spoke about what her life was like there. So, today's mini-excursion will be in Oklahoma; where it all began.

Many times, I'd ask her to tell me a story from her childhood. Her countenance would immediately change- eyes open up, reflecting shimmers of light, those high cheekbones round out and flush with a slight pink color, and her feet starts tapping like she's about to re-enact the entire episode of her memory. She had a voice that would stop you in your tracks, just to listen to her! During the story, grandma would bellow out into unstoppable fits of laughter, talking to me as if I was actually there, witnessing every bit of detail with her. Oh how I wish I could've asked her the questions I have now!

Even though she and her sister (the one in the middle) have made their 'transition into that higher place', where we are all trying to get to, I can still feel the strong touch of her hand, hear her contagious laughter, and the hint of perfume still lingers in her favorite scarf that I have. Ahhh, the memories... :-)

Her sisters were her joy; that's one reason why I chose this picture. I only have a handful of photographs of my Grandma and I cherish each one with my whole heart. I'm so thankful that my Mama passed the photos that she had of her, down to me and my brother. I am blessed to know, at least something, of my heritage and history, on my mother's side. I'm so glad to share these moments I shared with my maternal grandma with you. Thank you so much for reading!

Peace and love, my friends,

No comments:

Post a Comment

The best conversation happens in the comments section!